Friday, March 16, 2007

It was a dark and stormy night....

It's sleeting like crazy tonight in NYC, coming down in shards of glass, so after taking my puppy for a one hour walk/run/slide, I decided I was through with the elements for the evening. Justin and I stayed in, watched reruns of <>, took a bath, drank some wine, and cooked.

The theme of the night: Thai. I've been trying to make a lot of different Thai dishes lately since we've been suffering from withdrawal for 'em ever sinced we moved from Boston to NYC. There are a few decent restaurants in NYC--at least in the outer boroughs--but none that I've tried so far that permeate authenticity, and anyway, as previously mentioned, travel was not part of the plan tonight. So we made Thai curry chicken (recipe posted earlier this week)--with some twists.

I started marinating the chicken about three days ago. Didn't actually intend to marinate that long, but I worked late the past couple of nights and got lazy, the end result of which was that the chicken sat in a tupperware container of cilantro guacamole sauce and bourbon for a long ass time. Shockingly, it wasn't overmarinated today--only because I didn't add much salt, I thik.

I halved the amount of chicken called for in the recipe (we're only two people and a hungry puppy), but kept all the other amounts the same. This turned out to be a good move since the sauce was the really, really delectable part. We didn't have "curry powder," so I made my own concoction of cumin seeds (toasted 'em with the garlic and ginger), ground coriander, turmeric, ground cumin, onion powder, and pepper. We simmered on very low heat for a half hour plus (ok we got a little distracted). The result was a deeply flavorful, delectably tender, multi-layered, and complex dish that I think is as good as anything we've had in Boston. Good recipe!

1 comment:

Un-Swiss Miss said...

Nice! There's commentary now as well as recipes!